Research Areas: Hybrid machining, biomimetic micro-/nanofabrication
Prof. Xu got his PhD degree from Tohoku University under the supervision of Prof. Kuriyagawa Tsunemoto. After graduation, he worked as a JSPS research fellow and an assistant professor in the Nano-precision Machining Lab. of Tohoku University successively. He had successfully obtained JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) twice in the area of mechanical micro-/nanofabrication. In early 2017, Prof. Xu returned to China and joined in Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering of SUSTC. Now, his team is mainly focusing on the fundamental research and applications of hybrid machining technologies including laser and ultrasonic assisted micromachining. To achieve high-efficient and precision machining of hard-to-machining materials like ceramics, semiconductor and amorphous alloy is their main research goal. Prof. Xu’s research interest also includes nanoimprinting and femtosecond laser ablation for fabrication of functional textured surfaces on glass and ceramics.
◆ Hybrid machining technology: laser assisted microcutting, ultrasonic assisted microgrinding
◆ Micro-/nanofabrication: plasma enhanced laser micromachining, femtosecond laser ablation, nanoimprinting
◆ 2011-2015, PhD, Mechanical Systems and Design, Tohoku University, Japan
◆ 2008-2011, MS, Geological Engineering, China University of Geosciences
◆ 2004-2008, BS, Materials Science and Engineering, China University of Geosciences
◆ 2017/01-, Assistant professor (PI), Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
◆ 2015/09-2016/12, Assistant professor, Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, Tohoku University, Japan
◆ 2015/04-2015/08, JSPS research fellow, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Japan
◆ 2014, Tohoku University President Fellowship
◆2013, Best presentation award, The 16th International Symposium on Advances in Abrasive Technology (ISAAT2013)
1. Shaolin Xu, Ketia Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Fabrication of hybrid micro/nano-textured surfaces using rotary ultrasonic machining with one-point diamond tool, Int J Mach Tool Manu, 86, 2014, 12-17.
2. Shaolin Xu, Shinsaku Osawa, Ryuichi Kobayashi, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Minimizing burrs and defects on microstructures with laser assisted micromachining technology, Int J Autom Tech, 10 (6), 2016, 891-898.
3. Masayoshi Mizutani, Jun Komotori, Tohru Hayakawa, Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, High functionalization of dental implant with laser fabrication, Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, 81 (12), 2015, 1073-1077.
4. Ryuichi Kobayashi, Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Defining the effects of cutting parameters on burr formation and minimization in ultra-precision grooving of amorphous alloy, Precis Eng, 49, 2017, 115–121.
5. Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Development of a novel 2D rotary ultrasonic texturing technique for fabricating tailored structures, Int J Adv Manuf Tech, 89 (1), 2017, 1161-1172.
6. Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Analysis of machinable structures and their wettability of rotary ultrasonic texturing method, Chin J Mech Eng, 29 (6), 2016, 1187-1192.
7. Shaolin Xu, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Recent advances in ultrasonic assisted machining for fabrication of micro/nano-textured surfaces, Front Mech Eng, 12(1), 2017, 33-45.
8. Jingsi Wang, Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Smoothed particle hydrodynamics simulation and experimental study of ultrasonic machining, Proc IMechE Part B: J Engineering Manufacture, DOI: 10.1177/0954405417692005, 2017.
9. Masayoshi Mizutani, Chieko Kuji, Hiroyuki Ohisa, Shunske Nishimura, Koichi Mizutani, Ryo Akatsuka, Keiichi Sasaki, Shaolin Xu, Keita Shimada, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Particle fracture behavior and deposition mechanism in powder jet deposition (PJD), Journal of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology. 61 (1), 2017, 28-33.
10. Shaolin Xu, Chihiro Nishikawa, Ketia Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani, Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, Surface textures fabrication on zirconia ceramics by 3D ultrasonic vibration assisted slant feed grinding, Advanced Materials Research, 797, 2013, 326-331.