Prof. Yongbo Wu received his PhD degree from Tohoku University in 1997. After a short industrial experience in Nikon Corporation as a senior engineer, he decided to Tohoku University in 1998 serving as an assistant professor, and then moved to Akita Prefectural University on April of 2000. After serving for this university for ten years as a full professor, he joined Southern University of Science and Technology and has served as a chair professor at department of mechanical and energy engineering since May 2017. Before returning to China, he was a tenured professor at Akita Prefectural University. His research area includes magnetic/electric field assisted polishing, ultrasonic assisted machining, electric field-ultrasonic hybrid assisted machining, centerless grinding and so on. Prof. Wu published more than 200 articles in international journals and academic conferences, hold 16 Japanese and 8 Chinese invented patents on the advanced technologies in precision processing and was author of 5 book chapter. He has been serving for ICAT (International Committee for Abrasive Technology) as active member, the fellow of ISNM (International Society for Nanomanufacturing), respectively, and successfully organized JSME Conference on manufacturing and Machine Tool and ISMNM (International Symposium on Micro/Nano Mechanical Machining and Manufacturing).
◆ Jul. 1982 B.S. (Mech.), Hefei University of Technology, China
◆ Jan. 1985 M.S. (Mech.), Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China
◆ Mar. 1997 Ph.D. (Mech.), Tohoku University, Japan
Professional Work Experience:
◆ Aug. 2016 – present Chair professor, Dept. of Mechanical and Energy Engineering,
Southern University of Science and Technology, China.
◆ Apr. 2000 - April.2017 Lecturer (till Mar. 2004), Associate Professor (till Mar. 2007),
and Professor (from Apr. 2007), Dept. of Machine Intelligence
& Systems Engineering, Akita Prefectural University, Japan
(Jul. 2002 – Nov. 2002: Visiting Academics, Queensland University
of Technology, Australia)
◆ Jul. 1998 – Mar. 2000 Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, Tohoku University,
◆ Apr. 1997 – Jun. 1998 Senior Engineer, Ultrasonic Nikon Corporation, Japan
◆ Oct. 1991 – Mar. 1992 Visiting Researcher, School of Engineering, Tohoku
◆ May 1989 – Sep. 1991 Teaching Assistant/Lecturer, Nanchang Institute of
Aeronautical Technology, China
◆ Oct. 1987 – Apr. 1989 Visiting researcher, Toyohashi University of Technology,
◆ Feb. 1985 – Sep. 1987 Teaching Assistant, Nanchang Institute of
Aeronautical Technology, China
Awards and Honors:
◆ 2012: International Society for Nanmanufacturing, Fellow
◆ 2011: Specially invited expert for “555 project” of Jiangxi Province, China 2009 30th Machine Tools Technology Promotion Award of Japan.
◆ 2004: Best Paper Award of JSAT (The Japan Society for Abrasive Technology) 2002 Kumagai Award of JSPE (The Japan Society for Precision Engineering)
◆ 1999: Manufacturing and Machine Tool Research Award of JSME
(The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers)
◆ Member, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME)
◆ Member, Japan Society for Precision Engineering (JSPE)
◆ Member, Japan Society for Abrasive Technology (JSAT)
◆ Member, Japanese Society for Experimental Dynamics (JSEM)
◆ Member, American Society for Precision Engineering (ASPE)
◆ Member, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
◆ Fellow, International Society for Nanmanufacturing (ISNM)
Current Research Interests and Subjects：
(1) Electric/Magnetic-field Assisted Polishing
A MCF (Magnetic Compound Fluid) Slurry and its Fundamental Performance in Nano- precision Surface Polishing Precision Finishing of Mold/Die for m-TAS/Fresnel lens Fabrication Using MCF Slurry
Nano-precision MCF Surface Finishing of Quartz/Sapphire/Fine ceramics
Robotic Mirror Surface Finishing of free-formed/Aspherical surface using MCF Slurry
A MCF wheel and its performance in high-efficiency polishing of electro-optical/ceramic materials
An electric/magnetic abrasive slurry and its performance in high efficiency nano-precision polishing
(2) Ultrasonic Assisted Machining
Internal Ultrasonic Assisted Mirror Grinding
A New Ultrasonic Vibration Spindle without Electric Power Supplying
Elliptic Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (EUAG) Method and its Performance in High-efficiency Precision Machining of Sapphire, Silicon and SiC
Ultrasonic Assisted Fixed-abrasive CMP (Chemical Mechanical Polishing) Technology and its Performances in Precision Machining of Silicon/Optical Glass and Wafer Edge treatment
Ultrasonic Assisted Cutting and Grinding of Difficult-to-cut Materials (Titanium alloy, Ni based alloy)
(3) Electric field-Ultrasonic Hybrid Assisted Machining
Ultrasonic Assisted Electrolytic/Plasma Oxidation Grinding (E/POG) of Difficult-to-Machine Materials (Titanium Alloy, Ni-based Alloy, Tungsten Carbide)
Electroplastic-effect/Ultrasonic Hybrid Assisted Machining of Difficult-to-Machine Materials
(4) Proposal of a Tilted Helical Milling/grinding (THM/G) Method
Hole drilling of CFRP and Ceramics by THM/G method
Grooving of Ceramics by THM/G
(5) Centerless Grinding
A New Centerless Grinding Mothed Performed on Surface Grinder
Micro-Cylindrical/Spherical fabrication and by Ultrasonic-Shoe Centerless Grinding
Representative Books and Papers：
1. Y. Wu*, Q. Wang, S. Li, D. Lu, Ultrasonic Assisted Machining of Nickle-based Superalloy Inconel 718, in: Superalloys, In Tech Publishers, ISBN 978-953-51-5335-1, Croatia-EU, 2018.3.1.
2. S. Li, Y. Wu*, M. Nomura, T. Fujii, Proposal of an ultrasonic assisted electrochemical grinding method and its fundamental machining characteristics in the grinding of Ti–6Al–4V, ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 140 (2018) 071009-1-9.
3. W. Xu* and Y. Wu*, A novel approach to fabricate high aspect ratio micro-rod using ultrasonic vibration-assisted centreless grinding，International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 141 (2018) 21-30.
4. Q. Wang, Y. Wu*, T. Bitou, M. Nomura, T. Fujii, Proposal of a tilted helical milling technique for high quality hole drilling of CFRP: Kinetic analysis of hole formation and material removal, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 94 （2018）4221-4235，DOI 10.1007/s00170-017-1106-3
5. S. Li, Y. Wu*, K. Yamamura, M. Nomura, T. Fujii, Improving the grindability of titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V with the assistance of ultrasonic vibration and plasma electrolytic oxidation, CIRP Annals Manufacturing Technology, Vol.66, Issue 1 (2017) DOI: 10.1016/j.cirp.2017.04.089
6. Y. Wu*, S. Li, M. Nomura, S. Kobayashi, T. Tachibana, Ultrasonic assisted electrolytic grinding of titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V,International Journal of Nanomanufacturing, Vol.13, Issue 2( 2017) 152-160.
7. S. Li, Y. Wu*, M. Nomura, Effect of grinding wheel ultrasonic vibration on chip formation in surface grinding of Inconel 718, Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2016; DOI: 10.1007/s00170-015-8149-0.
8. Y. Wang, Y. Wu* and M. Nomura, Feasibility study on surface finishing of miniature V-grooves with magnetic compound fluid slurry, Precision Engineering, Vol.45, (2016) pp.67-78.
9. S. Li, Y. Wu*, M. Nomura, Improving the working surface condition of electroplated cBN grinding quill in surface grinding of Inconel 718 by the assistance of ultrasonic vibration, ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.138, (2016) pp.071008-1_8.
10. D. Lu, Q. Wang, Y. Wu*, J. Cao, H. Guo, Fundamental Turning Characteristics of Inconel 718 by Applying Ultrasonic Elliptical Vibration on the Base Plane, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol.30, No.8 (2015) pp.1010-1017.
11. J. Cao, Y. Wu*, J. Li, Q. Zhang, A grinding force model for ultrasonic assisted internal grinding (UAIG) of SiC ceramics, Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.81, No.5 (2015) pp.875-885.
12. Y. Wang, Y. Wu*, H. Guo, M. Fujimoto, M. Nomura and K. Shimada, A New MCF (Magnetic Compound Fluid) Slurry and its Performance in Magnetic Field-assisted Polishing of Oxygen- free Copper, J. of Applied Physics, 117 (2015) pp.17D712-1_4.
13. H. Guo, Y. Wu*, D. Lu, M. Fujimoto, M. Nomura, Effects of pressure and shear stress on material removal rate in ultra-fine polishing of optical glass with magnetic compound fluid slurry, J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.214, No.11 (2014) pp.2759-2769.
14. J. Cao, Y. Wu*, D. Lu, M. Fujimoto, M. Nomura, Material removal behavior in ultrasonic- assisted scratching of SiC ceramics with a single diamond tool, Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 79 (2014) pp.49-61.
15. Y. Li, Y. Wu*, L. Zhou, M. Fujimoto, Vibration-Assisted Dry Polishing of Fused Silica Using a Fixed-Abrasive Polisher, Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 77, No.1 (2014) pp.93- 102.
16. L. Jiao, Y. Wu*, X. Wang, H. Guo, Z. Liang, Fundamental performance of magnetic compound fluid (MCF) wheel in ultra-fine surface finishing of optical glass, Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 75 (2013) pp.109-118.
17. Z. Liang, X. Wang, Y. Wu, L. Xie, L. Jiao, W. Zhao, Experimental Study on Brittle - Ductile Transition in Elliptical Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (EUAG) of Monocrystal Sapphire using Single Diamond Abrasive Grain, Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 71, (2013) pp.41-51.
18. Y. Wu* and H. Guo, “Polishing Mechanism and Applications of Magnetic Compound Fluid (MCF) Slurry”, in: Manufacturing Technologies for the Performance Enhancement of Optical Glasses, Chapter 4.5, Science and Technology Publications, Tokyo, Japan, 2012.
19. W. Xu, Y. Wu*, Simulation investigation of through-feed centerless grinding process performed on a surface grinder, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 212 (2012), pp.927-935.
20. Y. Li, Y. Wu*, J. Wang, W. Yang, Y. Guo and Q. Xu, Tentative investigation towards precision polishing of optical components with ultrasonically vibrating bound-abrasive pellets, Optics Express, Vol.20, No.1 (2012), pp.568-575.
21. Y. Wu*, Y. Li, J. Cao and Z. Liang, “Ultrasonic Assisted Fixed Abrasive Machining of Hard- Brittle Materials”, in: Ultrasonics: Theory, Techniques and Practical Application, NOVA SCIENCE PUBLISHERS, INC., NY, USA, 2012.
22. Y. Peng, Y. Wu*, Z.Q. Liang, Y. B. Guo and X. Lin, An Experimental Study of Ultrasonic Vibration-assisted Grinding of Polysilicon Using Two-Dimensional Vertical Workpiece Vibration, Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.54, (2011) pp.941-947.
23. W. Xu and Y. Wu*, A new in-feed centerless grinding technique using a surface grinder J. of materials Processing Technology, Vol.211, (2011) pp.141-149.
24. Z. Liang, Y. Wu*, X. Wang, W. Zhao, T. Sato, W. Lin, A New Two-dimensional Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (2D-UAG) Method and Its Fundamental Performance in Monocrystal Silicon Machining, Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.50, (2010) pp.728-736.
25. W. Xu, Y. Wu*, T. Sato, W. Lin, Effects of process parameters on workpiece roundness in tangential-feed centerless grinding using a surface grinder, J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.210, (2010) pp.759-766.
26. Y. Wu*, S. Yokoyama, T. Sato, W. Lin, T. Tachibana, Development of a new rotary ultrasonic spindle for precision ultrasonically assisted grinding， Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, No.12/13, (2009) pp.933-938.
27. T. Furuya, Y. Wu*, M. Nomura, Y. Shimada and K. Yamamoto, Fundamental performance of magnetic compound fluid polishing liquid in contact-free polishing of metal surface, J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 201, (2008) pp.536-541.
28. Y. Wu*, “Ultrasonic-shoe Centerless Grinding”, in: Illustration of Abrasive Technology, Chapter 2.2.4, edited by Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Nihon Kogyo Chosakai Publications, Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
29. Y. Wu*, “Ultra-precision Centerless Grinding”, in: Ultra-precision Machining and Aspherical Machining, Chapter 1.7, edited by Katsuo Syoji, NTS Publications, Tokyo, Japan, 2004.